About Writers Rising Up
Who we are….
Writers Rising Up is a 501(c) (3) public charity. Contributions are tax deductible. We encourage a deeper understanding and participation in environmental stewardship. Through the literary arts at community events, contests, workshops, literary performances, interpretive installations and publications, our focus is on nature education and writing. Through our submission opportunities we promote writers who associate their work to cultural, spiritual and social connections to place, the land, natural habitat, including flora, fauna and wetlands.
Elizabeth Fries Ellet Interpretive Trail
Wilderness in the city
The City of Eden Prairie, Minnesota owes its name to Elizabeth Fries Ellet, the East Coast writer who visited the area in 1852. In her travelogue book, Summer Rambles in the West, Ellet described the Minnesota River Valley which adjoins the current day City of Eden Prairie as the garden spot of the territory.
The celebrated valley of the Minnesota River–called St. Pierre by the French, and until recently, St. Peter’s—extends in a general direction from west to east, and, with the country along its tributaries, forms the garden spot of the territory.
Writers & Readers Common Grounds
Ellet, Historian, Writer, Feminist
Who was this woman?
History and legacy informed every fiber of Elizabeth Fries Ellet. Being a writer was not an acceptable role for women in that era, but Ellet followed the passions of women before her, who were adept at crafting words into images of 18th and 19th-century life, some writing anonymously under male pseudonyms in order to be accepted and then published posthumously. Ellet pursued her passion for writing and published her first book, Poems, in 1835 at the age of sixteen.
Bug City: Make a Bug Fourth Event
Eden Prairie’s 4th Hometown Celebration
Bug Tent at Round Lake Park July 4th. Volunteers needed (must be accompanied by parent if under age 18)
•Write Shaped Bug Poems and Create Bugs in a Jar
•Take a selfie with Butterfly, Lady Bug Wings
• Create your own Buggy Face Art
Bug City: Make a Bug is sponsored every year by Eden Prairie Metropolitan Ford.
Winning Writers Submission Guidelines
- All submission opportunities must be in English and are open to all who live in the United States 48
- All submissions must be submitted via Submittable at https://wrup.submittable.com/submit
- All winning entries will be published online only
- No submissions will be accepted via email
- Please include contact information and bio with your submissions
- Submissions that don’t follow the guidelines will not be considered
- Writers Rising Up reserves the right to declare no winner or winners
- Writers own all rights to their writing
- Winners only must submit (color optional) head shot, and four high quality jpeg images related to your work that will be published on our blogs
- No multiple submissions
- We do not accept submissions from writers who have their own pay for view/purchase web site for their work
Wilderness in the City Events
Outdoor Excursions on the trail